DMG Tool version 3
What is it?
DMG Tool was created to simplify the process of creating compressed disk images in Mac OS X. It's specifically designed for speed. The minimum you need to do is enter text into one field and click two buttons.
What do you need?
To use DMG Tool you need Mac OS X 10.2 or higher.
How to use it.
- Double-click the DMG Tool icon.
- Enter a file name.
- Enter a volume size.
- Enter a volume name.
- Click "Create".
- Copy files the mounted image.
- Click "Finish" to quickly compressed and finalized the image to the Desktop.
- Click "Save" to choose the save location for the finalized image.
How it works.
DMG Tool is an AppleScript Studio GUI front end for the command line tool hdiutil. The commands used are hdiutil create, hdiutil convert, hdid, mv and rm. Since it makes use of the command line tools exclusively there are a few gotchas as noted below.
Since the mv command is destructive making two images with the same filename back-to-back will destroy the first file created by over writing it. This shouldn't happen too often, shouldn't happen at all really, but I'm noting it here.
All the methods I've used to get folder sizes have their little flaws. so I decided on the best one.
- Fixed user cancelled errors.
- Fixed weird default save location.
- Complete rewrite of the program into one file, which results in a much smaller file size, less code duplication and general goodness. A needed step if I wanted to update this program easily in the future.
- Removed the tab for other disk image options since it was an outsider to the other three tabs, those options, as always, are still available from the menus.
- Added an option to set the level of compression used by the ZLIB compression method. A lower setting results in a larger file but a faster compression, while a higher setting results in a smaller image for the sacrifice of speed.
- Sheets! Wonderful amazing sheets! Now used for open dialogs.
- Stays open regardless of the "Quit after drag and drop operations" setting if manually opened and used for a drag and drop operation at a later time.
- Better handling of window positions and placement.
Find any bugs or want to make a feature request email me at email@example.com
DMG Tool version 3
DMG Tool version 2.7.3 (Mac OS X 10.1.2 to 10.1.5)